[FOM] Is this known to be undecidable?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Dec 31 01:57:05 EST 2006

Given: a multivariable polynomial p(x1,x2,...,x_n,y) and a univariate
polynomial q(z), in the language of fields.

Assume the axioms for fields, and the axioms for characteristic 0 if
necessary.

Is it decidable whether

Forall (x1,...,xn) Thereexists y p(x1,...,x_n,y)=0

implies

Thereexists z q(z)=0

?

In other words, if I can solve all equations of type p, can I solve
equation q?

(If it is undecidable when I generalize to allow more existentially
quantified variables in p and q, that would also be worth knowing, but
I am mainly interested in the specific case of only one existentially
quantified variable, which seems quite difficult enough!)

-- JS