[FOM] Possible worlds

Sara L. Uckelman suckelma at illc.uva.nl
Mon Dec 18 13:29:33 EST 2006

Harvey Friedman wrote:

 > I think that the computer science literature, rather than the philosophy
 > literature, is what is most relevant. In the computer science literature,
 > the non monotonic case is also treated, where things that were
"known" are
 > retracted. This makes especially good sense in database theory.
 >
 > In any case, there are quite a number of people on the FOM who could
comment
 > on this diverse and extensive literature from computer science far far
 > better than I can.

There is the computer science literature, with which I am less familiar,
and then there is the dynamic epistemic logic literature, much of which
has taken its inspiration from the computer science literature.  Good
resources for the latter include the following:

_Dynamic Epistemic Logic_ by Hans van Ditmarsch, Wiebe van der Hoek, and
Barteld Kooi, which will be published sometime in spring (I believe
March); an outline of the book and its table of contents can be found on
van Ditmarsch's web page, http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/staffpriv/hans/del.html

_Bisimulations on Planet Kripke_, Ph.D. thesis of Jelle Gerbrandy,
http://www.illc.uva.nl/Publications/Dissertations/DS-1999-01.text.pdf

"The Logic of Public Announcements, Common Knowledge and Private
Suspicions", technical report by Alexandru Baltag, Lawrence S. Moss and
Slawomir Solecki,
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/techreports/TRNNN.cgi?trnum=TR534

The paradigm presented in the last reference is the one being referred
to in the references if you google for "BMS knowledge revision".

-Sara Uckelman

--
Sara L. Uckelman
Institute for Logic, Language, and Computation

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~suckelma