[FOM] Is Godel's Theorem surprising?

Rob Arthan rda at lemma-one.com
Mon Dec 11 18:12:08 EST 2006

On 10 Dec 2006, at 07:19, joeshipman at aol.com wrote:

> [...]

My point (which I'm sorry to say I didn't make very clear) was that,
whatever your intuitions about PA or ZF might be, complete theories are
not, in general, easy to recognise. Just saying "the first-order theory
of the reals is only about the reals" doesn't really help you design a
quantifier-elimination procedure for it!

Regards,

Rob.