[FOM] 23 syllables

Richard Heck rgheck at brown.edu
Thu Dec 7 16:33:11 EST 2006

henri galinon wrote:
> Dear FOMers,
>   in his essay "The ways of paradox", Quine has a passage on Berry's
> paradox. At the very end of the passage (last remark of the following
> quote), he offers the reader a little amusing game (implicitly at
> least) by hinting at a solution. My question is : what is Quine's
> "solution" ?

The quoted passage is below.

I'm not sure what the "amusing game" is supposed to be here. Quine's
point is simply that Berry's paradox can be solved using Tarski's
methods to whatever extent the Liar can be. As he says, "x specified by
A" here means, more or less: x is the one and only one object of which
the formula in one free variable A is true. So consider PA, and instead
of talking of syllables talk of the length of formulae. So, there being
only finitely many formulae containing one free variable and less than N
symbols total, there are only finitely many numbers that satisfy any
such formula uniquely; hence there are numbers that do not; hence there
is a least; and all of that can be proven in PA^T = PA plus a
Tarski-style truth theory. By the same token, there is a least number
not "specifiable" by a formula of PA^T. But if we choose N correctly,
there will be a formula of PA^T containing less than N symbols that
specifies the least number not so specifiable in PA itself. And that
number will be provably greater than the least such number not so
specifiable by a formula of PA. And so up up the hierarchy. Exactly what
N should be taken to be here could be calculated simply by writing down
the relevant formula of PA^T and counting.

Richard Heck

--
Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy