[FOM] Meta-logic

V.Sazonov@csc.liv.ac.uk V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Sat Aug 19 18:10:01 EDT 2006

Dear Allen,

Quoting "A.P. Hazen" <a.hazen at philosophy.unimelb.edu.au> Wed, 16 Aug 2006:

>    Vladimir Sazonov says that he has shown that "in a  weak
> framework," the completeness theorem is provable iff NP=coNP.

Sorry, I want to retract this statement (for the predicate logic) and
leave it as an open question. (But the "if" case is of course true
under appropriate formulation.) Note that in my paper [2] which I
referred to there was actually no such statement.

Can
> you tell  us,  Vladimir, how your "weak framework" compares to the
> systems in Simpson's book?

I will better give a positive description of the system and the
formulation of the result (with some *corrections* to [2]). The problem
is that the completeness theorem for FOL cannot be formulated
straightforwardly in this weak framework. I rather mean appropriate
"deterministic" or "constructive" (see below) approximation to its
usual formulation. So, it is necessary to define everything almost from
scratch.

Let P={p_0,p_1,...} be the sequence of all polynomial time computable
operations and predicates

* over finite binary strings {0,1}* (variables x,y,z,...),

* over unary strings (1}* (called also natural numbers with the empty
string representing 0 ? zero; variables i,j,k,...), and

* over infinite binary strings {0,1}^\infty (variables alpha,beta,...;
alpha(i) denotes i-th bit in the string alpha).

The allowed values of operations from P are finite (unary or binary)
strings or just truth values.

Computability is understood as usually in terms of Turing Machines -
with oracles for infinite binary strings.

T2K denotes a second-order theory with the above three sorts.

Its primitive non-logical operations and predicates are

p_1,p_2,...

Note that the application alpha(i) to a unary string is actually among
the above operations.

NON-LOGICAL AXIOMS of T2K are:

Ax1: All (universal closures of) bounded formulas (i.e. with
quantifiers only of the form forall x < term and exists x < term where
x does not occur free in the term and < means lexicographical ordering
on the (finite) binary strings) true in the standard model with three
sorts M = <{1}*, {0,1}*, {0,1}^\infty; p_1,p_2,...>.

In particular, Ax1 implies the bounded induction axiom (as well as
sharply bounded one - with bounded quantifiers over unary strings).
Analogously, the closure under composition for infinite string
arguments also follows from Ax1.

Ax2: Extensionality for infinite binary strings,

Ax3: Separation for infinite strings and bounded formulas B:

          exists alpha forall i (alpha(i)<=> B(i)),

Ax4: Konig?s axiom (Lemma) for the binary trees given by any bounded
formula B(x).

Now, before formulating the main result on T2K some preliminary
considerations are necessary.

Note that T2K does not prove that the exponential (exp) is total function.

In particular, it is the open question in T2K whether some polynomial
time computable enumeration x_i (with i unary) of ALL finite binary
strings does exist (and is consistent with the assertion that exp is
not total function).

However there exists a good candidate \xi_i (polynomial time computable
polynomial optimal sequence of binary strings - in fact, the fastest,
up to a polynomial, sequence of binary strings; it can be explicitly
defined in terms of the Universal TM; see [1]).

Assuming that exp is total, \xi_i can be easily shown to enumerate all
finite binary strings. Otherwise it is an open question in general. In
any case, the set of so called *deterministic* or *constructive(ble)*
finite binary strings

{\xi_i : i is unary string}

is closed (provably in T2K) under polynomial time computable
operations. (Note that unary strings are evidently constructive.) So,
this set serves as a *constructive* approximation to the set of ALL
(from the point of view of T2K) finite binary strings. Non-constructive
finite binary strings are called *random*. (They do not exist if exp is
the total function.)

That exp is not provably total in T2K is the key point in the further
considerations. You know that completeness proof of propositional logic
(PL) requires (the total) exp (at least it is unknown whether it can be
done better). Therefore the more general case of first order logic
(FOL) also requires exp.

Now, the question is what is the meaning of one of the known proofs of
completeness of FOL *in the framework where exp is not provably total*,
whether it can be imitated. Thus, our attention to such a theory as T2K.

Note that (some of) finite binary strings can evidently serve as (codes
of) first-order formulas. (This is decidable in PTIME.)

Trying to imitate in T2K the well-known proof of completeness of FOL
based on Konig Lemma, we can define a polynomial time computable
sequence F_i^alpha (relative to alpha) of +/- signed formulas with
F_0^alpha = +F a given formula F with the sign + meaning that we
evaluate it as true; see [2] for the details and appropriate comments
below (on the participating sequence \xi_i). By construction, this
sequence F_i^alpha satisfies (provably in T2K) some natural closure
properties (for example, if +(A&B) appears then both +A and +B appear
too, and analogously for negated and quantified formulas).  Moreover,
*in the traditional framework* (say, in ZFC)

Th: A sentence F is satisfiable in some model iff

(*) for some alpha there are no such (unary) i and j that both
F_i^alpha = +G and F_j^alpha = -G hold.

(Otherwise neg(F) is called a tautology.)

Then using Konig Lemma would eventually give the evident enumeration
procedure or the proof system for all first-order tautologies leading
to a form of completeness theorem.

BUT this theorem cannot be imitated straightforwardly and fully in T2K,
because exp is not provably total and we cannot guarantee that
F_i^alpha  evaluates (by +/-) ALL possible first-order sentences. But
we can adapt the construction of this sequence by appropriate
incorporating in its definition/computation the above sequence \xi_i of
constructive finite binary strings; see [2] for the details. This will
guarantee that the polynomial time computable sequence F_i^alpha will
consist of ALL (+/- signed) FOL sentences represented by finite
*constructive* binary strings, (assuming that the initial formula F is
such).

This leads to the following theorem

T2K |- forall constructively presented F:
F is a FOL-tautology
[i.e. its negation is not not satisfieble in the sense of (*)] iff
exists n forall x(|x|=n => CLOSED(neg(F),x))

where CLOSED(G,x) abbreviates exist i,j<|x|(G_i^x=-G_j^x) with the
finite string x in the superscript considered as representing the
infinite string x000... .

Note that the statement forall x(|x|=n => CLOSED(neg(F),x))
can be reduced to an equivalent propositional tautology (represented by
constructive binary string). It follows

MAIN RESULT:
Provability in T2K of existence of a proof system (in the sense of Cook
and Reckhow) for propositional tautologies will give rise to a proof
system for FOL-tautologies, and vice versa. [IMPORTANT: Here we tacitly
assume ONLY those candidates for tautologies representable by
***constructive*** binary strings.]

Thus, in the absence of the (provably) total exp function we can only
prove (in T2K) that the *existence* of complete calculi for
propositional and predicate logic (only for the tautologies represented
by constructive binary strings) are equivalent. So, in principle it is
possible that only for constructively presented tautologies we have
proof system in the framework of T2K.)

Of course, T2K + the totality of exp proves the completeness both of
propositional and predicate logic (in the traditional sense, as all
finite binary strings are constructive in this case).

It is evident that CoNP=NP would imply the provability in T2K of
existence of proof systems both for (full, not only constructively
presented) propositional and hence for (constructively presented)
predicate logic.

For the full language of predicate logic we even do not have the
reasonable concept of tautology (or satisfiability in a model) in the
absence of the total exp.

FINAL NOTE: Presentation Ax1 in T2K in terms of a set of all TRUE
bounded formulas in the standard model is not an essential point. We
could restrict the language of T2K to a finite basis and Ax1 to several
quantifier-free axioms (with free variables) describing these
operations plus the schema of Bounded Induction. Then formulation of
some results would be only slightly changed, if necessary.

Refereces:

[1] V.Sazonov, A logical approach to the problem "P=?NP", in: MFCS'80,
Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N88, Springer, New York, 1980,
P.562--575. (An important correction to this paper is given in [2,
Page.490.]) http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers.html

[2] V.Sazonov, On existence of complete predicate calculus in
metamathematics without exponentiation, MFCS'81, Lecture Notes in
Computer Science, N118, Springer, New York, 1981, P.483--490.
(Available by request)

Best wishes,

Vladimir Sazonov