[FOM] Feasible and Utterable Numbers

V.Sazonov@csc.liv.ac.uk V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Sun Aug 6 18:48:23 EDT 2006

Quoting Mirco Mannucci <mmannucc at cs.gmu.edu> Sun, 06 Aug 2006:

> After all, most people would agree that 2^100 is a feasible number,
> even though not many have actually  DONE the
> computation.

NOBODY DID!

What I think we mean in this case is that there is a
> high degree of confidence that such a calculation
> COULD be successfully completed, if  needed.

I presume that we are here in the context of mathematics and natural
sciences - not the sociology. So I would not rely on any subjective
opinions. As I remember, in a known book of Richard Feinman he asserted
that the number of electrons in the universe is less than a number
which is in fact less than 2^100. I believe that this was not a
subjective opinion, but a conclusion from physical experiments. Thus,
this number is definitely non-feasible (in our current world) in the
sense that no physical computer could calculate its value in the form
SSSS...0 (a term a bigger size than our World!). But you seemingly have
some different idea of (contextual?) feasibility which I do not
understand.

Best wishes,

Vladimir Sazonov