[FOM] Another constructivist query.

S. Spijkerman / F. Waaldijk sufra at hetnet.nl
Mon Apr 3 12:59:59 EDT 2006

this scenario needs little imagination.

take p(n) to say: there are 99 consecutive 9's in the decimal expansion of
pi before the n-th digit.

take q(n) to be: (exists n < 10^10^10^10^10)  p(n)) OR (all n <
10^10^10^10^10) NOT p(n))

and well, your scenario is healthy and kicking.

of course q(n) is a constructive truth. a constructive proof: just check all
digits of pi up to the 10^10^10^10^10-th digit. the carrying out of this
might seem grotesque (...) but in fact this is not necessary, the proof just
relies on the indication of this method, not on the actual performance of
all necessary calculations. the garden variety constructivist has infinite
trust in a finite number of finite calculations...no matter how big `finite'
is.

your question is therefore really about feasibility. also interesting, but
more difficult, i believe. a good system which really describes
feasibility/infeasibility in a sharp way and still allows for good
mathematics, i don't know of it but please allow for large ignorance on my
part!