[FOM] Computing the Modulus of Continuity

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 1 13:45:31 EDT 2005

I am looking for references on *computing* the modulus of continuity of
explicit functions (real valued functions of a real variable).  As
having a computable modulus of continuity is crucial for certain notions
of functions being computable, I would expect that  people on FOM might
be aware of such work.  My searches up to now have yielded very little
outside a couple of examples (ie no algorithms or effective theory).

I was not able to find even simple theorems like, how does the modulus
of continuity of f+g, f*g depend on that of f and g.  I could certainly
go and try to derive such theorems myself, but if there are
not-too-obscure reference works where these are already contained, I
might as well look those up first.

Thanks for any pointers,
Jacques