[FOM] Mathematical explanation

Schaefer, Marcus MSchaefer at cti.depaul.edu
Sun Oct 30 18:46:53 EST 2005

A comment about Neil Tennant's afterthought on the referent of "diese":

> Afterthought: in the Frege quote
>
> 	,,Die Summe von zwei Anzahlen ist durch diese bestimmt",
>         in diesem Ausdrucke ist der Gedanke des Satzes unserer
>         Haupt"uberschrift am leichtesten zu erkennen ...
>
> the word "diese" is probably feminine singular, in agreement
> with "...schrift", and the referent of "Haupt"uberschrift" is

This seems very unlikely, since the quote would then translate to

``If we express the idea of the theorem of the Hauptueberschrift as
"The sum of two Numbers is determined by the (conditions of the)
Hauptueberschrift"
it is most easily recognizable ...''

My apologies for probably mistranslating Fregean terminology.
It will be very hard to convince a German speaker that "diese"
does not refer to Anzahlen. The quotes alone restrict the scope of the
word.

I believe a correct (albeit inelegant) translation would be:

``If we express the idea of the theorem of the Hauptueberschrift as
"The sum of two Numbers is determined by the Numbers,"
it is most easily recognizable, and so we include this expression,
although the definite article used with the subject already anticipates
the claim of determinedness  and the word "sum" is used differently
here from our later use of it in the context of numbers.''
(Paragraph 33 of volume II of the Grundgesetze)

Marcus