[FOM] Mathematical explanation

paolo mancosu mancosu at socrates.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 25 13:09:52 EDT 2005

Unification theories of explanation (Kitcher and others) do not
appeal to counterfactuals. Such theories have been proposed in the
first place to account for explanations in the natural sciences but
they can also be applied to mathematics.  Thus establishing the first
premise would at least require excluding that unifications are
explanations. In her book "Unifying scientific theories", Margaret
Morrison claims that unification and explanation often have little to
do with each other. Whether she is right or not is still open for
discussion. But even if she is right that would not establish premise
one. It would only show that unification theories cannot provide the
required counterexample.