[FOM] Theorem on Convex sets

Jeremy Clark jeremy.clark at wanadoo.fr
Thu Oct 6 09:18:50 EDT 2005

Here is a proof for N dimensions:

We can assume that the surface of A is made up of "small" (hyper-)
polygons A_i. Project each of these outwards onto the surface of B
(which needn't be convex) along lines parallel to a normal to A_i.
You get shadows B_i on B which do not intersect (convexity of A) and
must be of area not smaller than that of A_i (because we chose
normals to A_i), so the surface area of A must be smaller than that
of B.

Regards,

Jeremy Clark