[FOM] Is Con_Q provable in Q?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sat May 28 13:41:01 EDT 2005

Pavel Pudlak writes "the statement that a theory T is consistent is very strong even for a fairly weak T. For example, the consistency of Robinson's arithmetic Q, which has no induction axioms at all, is not provable in Bounded Arithmetic."

More of Pudlak's exploration of these matters can be found at this link:

http://www.math.cas.cz/~pudlak/bottom1.ps

Here's a more general version of Avron's question:

Is there ANY consistent theory T in the language of arithmetic (addition and multiplication) for which it makes sense to say that T proves Con(T)?

The theory need not be complex enough to code proofs or anything like that, but we must fix in advance a uniform way of going from (axiomatizations of) theories to their consistency statements.

-- Joseph Shipman