[FOM] Skolem functions

Aatu Koskensilta aatu.koskensilta at xortec.fi
Thu May 19 02:16:19 EDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 2:24 AM, Robert Black wrote:

> No, that can't be right. A constructive proof of AxEyFxy consists
> precisely in the presentation of a function f such that AxFxf(x), so
> Choice in the form AxEyFxy->EfAyFxf(x) is intuitionistically valid
> (see for example Michael Dummet's book)..

There is a subtlety here. A function in constructive mathematics must
be extensional, i.e. if A=B, where the =-relation depends on the
underlying set, then f(A)=f(B). There is no requirement that the f
furnished by the proof of AxEyFxy is extensional.

This is precisely the reason why the axiom of choice is in general not
constructively valid, and in fact (with extensionality) implies the law
of the excluded middle.

But this certainly is not my area of expertise, so I might be wide off
the mark. Caveat emptor.

Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta at xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"