[FOM] Skolem functions

Jesse Alama alama at stanford.edu
Wed May 18 16:43:13 EDT 2005

Consider the formulas (in OTTER syntax)

A: all x exist y p(x,y)
B: all x p(x,f(x)).

Clearly, if B is valid then A is valid.  If A is valid, then, by the axiom
of choice, B is valid.  Thus the equivalence of the validity of A and B
depends on a nonconstructive principle, namely the axiom of choice.
Perhaps this explains why, in the rules for intuitionistic tableaux,
skolemization is forbidden.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama at stanford.edu)