[FOM] FOM: FREGE ON SELF-EVIDENCE AND ON THE PROPERTY OF BEING SELF-EVIDENT

Richard Heck heck at fas.harvard.edu
Thu May 12 14:27:45 EDT 2005

Here are a few quick thoughts:

>Q1. Do Frege's translators use some other English expression in rendering Frege's German on this topic? Is 'self-evident' just a bad translation?

I don't know the answer to this question. The German in your second
quote is "einleuchtend". I don't have a German copy of the
correspondence at home here.

>Q2. Does Frege anywhere indicate the kind of criterion, feeling or perception that he took to warrant ascription of "self-evident" to a belief?

No, not so far as I know. One question here is whether feelings and
perceptions are the right sorts of things to be discussing. Jeshion and
Burge (see below) seem agreed, and I'm inclined to think they are right,
that "self-evidence" is not, for Frege, really a psychological notion.

>Q3. Does Frege anywhere indicate the kind of criterion, feeling or perception that he took to warrant ascription of "purely logical" to a belief?

Again, no. So far as I know, Frege does not offer any criterion for the
"purely logical". Some commentators have suggested, or at least implied,
that "maximum generality" would be such a criterion. But it is a
necessary condition at best, since "There are objects that are not
value-ranges" would be maximally general if Basic Law V is, whence it
would be a logical truth if true. In some of his early writings, Frege
writes of laws of logic as being "laws of thought" in a sense that has
real Kantian echoes---they are, as it were, laws of the
understanding---but that sort of talk vanishes from his later writing.
In the introduction to /Grundgesetze/, for example, he considers and
dismisses what amounts to a transcendental argument for the law of
non-contradiction.

This idea that laws of logic were laws of thought, in some such sense,
appears to have been very much in the air in Frege's time. I recently
had reason to read Boole's /The Laws of Thought/ and was really quite
astonished by how psychologistic his conception is.

>Q4. Does Frege anywhere indicate the kind of procedure he followed in arriving at his judgement of the "validity" of his axioms or of the "cogency" of his rules of inference?

No, not directly. That said, however, the informal semantics developed
in Part I of /Grundgesetze/ is used to give informal arguments for the
truth of the basic laws and the validity of the rules. The one
exception, unsurprisingly, is Basic Law V, the argument for whose truth
is very indirect: That's the infamous argument in sections 29-32. So one
might naturally conjecture that Frege was relying upon something like an
inchoate model-theoretic conception.

>Q5. Does Frege anywhere indicate the kind of procedure he followed in arriving at his judgment of the "non-validity" of a "thought" or "proposition" or of the "non-cogency" of a rule of progressing from proposition to proposition?

Again, not directly, though there is the long discussion in the third
part of the second paper on the foundations of geometry, which develops
an informal model-theoretic account. Unfortunately, however, Frege
explicitly denies that it would be applicable to logic itself.
Nonetheless, since Frege's basic laws are all, in effect, universally
quantified, and since he showed no serious interest in any modal
notions, one would suppose that "non-validity" could be established by
the presentation of a counter-instance. That, of course, won't
distinguish mere truth from logical validity, but, as said, Frege
doesn't seem to have had a developed view about logicality.

>Q6. Aside from the above mentioned passages where does Frege discuss self-evidence or the property of being self-evident?

I believe there are more such passages. Do you know Robin Jeshion's
paper "Frege on Self-Evidence"? I think she collects all relevant
passages. She would probably have some information about the other
issues, as well, so you might want to contact her. She's at
UC-Riverside. Tyler Burge has also thought a lot about these matters and
may have looked into some of these questions, too: See his "Frege on
Knowing the Foundation".

Richard Heck