[FOM] Question on Infinite Sequences of Ordinals

Paul Larson larsonpb at muohio.edu
Thu May 5 11:47:42 EDT 2005

The following seems relevant to the posting of Dmytro Taranovsky below.

There is a theorem of Erdos and Hajnal which shows that you can't have
indiscernibles for sequences of ordertype omega without adding new
omega-sequences. In particular, it shows that if M is a transitive inner
model of ZFC closed under omega-sequences, then for any ordinal lambda
there is a function in M from the omega-sequences from lambda to omega
which takes all values on the omega sequences from any subset of lambda
of ordertype lambda in V (among other things; this is a weak version).
There is a version of the theorem on page 319 of the first edition of
Kanamori's Higher Infinite, among other places. This version doesn't
literally do what we want, but it can be easily modified to do so.

On the other hand, Woodin has shown that you can have infinitary
indiscernibles for the Chang model, the least transitive class model of
ZF closed under omega-sequences (Kunen had previously shown that if
there are uncountably many measurable cardinals in V, then this
is not a model of Choice). Woodin has shown that if there exist proper
class many Woodin limits of Woodin cardinals, then there is a sharp for
the Chang model, a theory in a language with constants for each real,
constants for omega_1-many L_omega_1,omega_1-indiscernibles, plus
omega-many Skolem functions, which serves as a blueprint for the Chang
model. Futhermore, this theory is universally Baire, which implies that
every set of reals in the Chang model is universally Baire, and thus
determined.