FOM: CICLing-2003 -- Computational Linguistics, Mexico, February, Springer LNCS

Alexander Gelbukh gelbukh at cic.ipn.mx
Fri Mar 11 12:39:35 EST 2005

                     CICLing-2003

              Fourth International Conference
on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics

                February 16 to 22, 2003
                  Mexico City, Mexico

                    www.CICLing.org

PUBLICATION: Springer LNCS

SUBMISSION: October 10, short papers: October 20

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:
        Eric Brill (Microsoft Research, USA)
        Adam Kilgarriff (Brighton U., UK)
        Ted Pedersen (U. of Minnesota, USA)
        More are likely to be announced, see www.CICLing.org

EXCURSIONS:
        Ancient pyramids, Monarch butterflies,
        great cave and colonial city, and more.
        See photos of past events at www.CICLing.org

If you can read our website, please go there and IGNORE the rest
of this document.

+-------------------------------------------------------
| Why CICLing?
+-------------------------------------------------------

CICLing is a small, professional, high-level, very selective,
non-profit conf on Computational Linguistics and Natural Language
Processing.

We consider the following factors to define our success:

GENERAL INTEREST. The conf covers nearly all topics related
to computational linguistics. This makes it attractive for
people from different areas and leads to vivid and interesting
discussions and exchange of opinions.

INFORMAL INTERACTION. It is intended for a small group of
professionals, some 50 participants. This allows for informal
and friendly atmosphere, more resembling a friendly party than
an official event. At CICLing you can pass hours speaking with
your favorite famous scientists who you scarcely could greet in
the crowd at large confs.

EXCELLENT EXCURSIONS. Mexico is a wonderful country rich in
culture, history, and nature. The conference is intended for
people feeling themselves young in their souls, adventurous
explorers in both science and life. Our cultural program brings
the participants to unique marvels of history and nature hidden
from the usual tourists.

RELIEF FROM FROSTS. In the middle of February frosts, the
participants from Europe and North America can enjoy bright warm
sun under the shadow of palms.

+-------------------------------------------------------
| Areas of interest
+-------------------------------------------------------

Areas of interest include, but are not limited by:

Computational linguistics research:

        Computational linguistic theories and formalisms
        Representation of linguistic knowledge
        Morphology
        Syntax
        Semantics
        Discourse models
        Text generation
        Statistical methods in computational linguistics
        Corpus linguistics
        Lexical resources

Intelligent text processing and applications:

        Document classification and search
        Information retrieval
        Information extraction
        Text mining
        Automatic summarization
        Spell checking
        Natural language interfaces

+-------------------------------------------------------
| Important dates
+-------------------------------------------------------

Submission deadline:        October 10, short papers: October 20
Notification of acceptance: November 1, short papers: November 10
Firm camera-ready deadline: November 13
Conf:                       February 17-23

Authors of rejected full papers will be given a chance to re-submit
their works as short papers before November 5.

+-------------------------------------------------------
| Cultural Program
+-------------------------------------------------------

One of the most exciting things at the conference are excursions to the
ancient Indian pyramids and visiting a unique natural phenomenon, the
Monarch Butterfly wintering site where you can see millions of beautiful
butterflies in the trees and in the air around you. In common opinion of
the last year's participants, the excursions were excellent; at our
webisite you can see their own photos.

Here is the tentative list of excursions:

- The Anthropological Museum: inside Mexico City
- The City Center; tentative and informal
- Teotihuacan: ancient Indian pyramids, 1 hour drive
- Cacahuamilpa and Taxco: great cave and colonial city, 2 hours drive
- Angangueo: Monarch Butterfly wintering site, 4 hours drive

+-------------------------------------------------------
| Program Committee
+-------------------------------------------------------

1.      Barbu, Catalina, UK
2.      Boitet, Christian, France
3.      Bolshakov, Igor, Mexico
4.      Bontcheva, Kalina, UK
5.      Brusilovsky, Peter, USA
6.      Calzolari, Nicoletta, Italy
7.      Carroll, John, UK
8.      Cassidy, Patrick, USA
9.      Cristea, Dan, Romania
10.     Gelbukh, Alexander (chair), Mexico
11.     Hasida, Koiti, Japan
12.     Harada, Yasunari, Japan
13.     Hirst, Graeme, Canada
14.     Johnson, Frances, UK
15.     Kittredge, Richard, USA / Canada
16.     Kharrat, Alma, USA
17.     Knudsen, Line, Denmark
18.     Koch, Gregers, Denmark
19.     Kuebler, Sandra, Germany
20.     Lappin, Shalom, UK
21.     Laufer, Natalia, Russia
22.     Lopez-Lopez, Aurelio, Mexico
23.     Loukanova, Roussanka, USA / Bulgaria
24.     Luedeling, Anke, Germany
25.     Maegaard, Bente, Denmark
26.     Martin-Vide, Carlos, Spain
27.     Mel'cuk, Igor, Canada
28.     Metais, Elisabeth, France
29.     Mikheev, Andrei, UK
30.     Mitkov, Ruslan, UK
31.     Murata, Masaki, Japan
32.     Narin'yani, Alexander, Russia
33.     Nevzorova, Olga, Russia
34.     Nirenburg, Sergei, USA
35.     Palomar, Manuel, Spain
36.     Pedersen, Ted, USA
37.     Pineda-Cortes, Luis Alberto, Mexico
38.     Piperidis, Stelios, Greece
39.     Ren, Fuji, Japan
40.     Sag, Ivan, USA
41.     Sidorov, Grigori, Mexico
42.     Sharoff, Serge, Russia
43.     Sun Maosong, China
44.     Tait, John, UK
45.     Trujillo, Arturo, UK
46.     T'sou Ka-yin, Benjamin, Hong Kong
47.     Van Guilder, Linda, USA
48.     Verspoor, Karin, USA / The Netherlands
49.     Vilares Ferro, Manuel, Spain
50.     Wilks, Yorick, UK

More info: www.CICLing.org, gelbukh at CICLing.org

Alexander Gelbukh
PC chair

I send you this message because I found your address at
a webpage related to the topic of this conf. If you do
not want to receive my messages, please let me know at
gelbukh at CICLing.org. I apologize for inconvenience.