[FOM] Re: Soare's article in the BSL

Vladik Kreinovich vladik at cs.utep.edu
Mon Jan 31 13:27:59 EST 2005

This part is indeed written somewhat confusingly.

The correct definition is given, e.g., in the 2003 NW paper in Geometrica
Dedicata: A1 is the closure of the set of all the metrics from
Met(M)=Riem(M)/Diff(M) for which the curvature is always bounded (in absoluyte
value) by 1 (the actual notation in [NW] is A1 (A one) not Al (A el) but of
course 1 and l are easily confused in printed English :-)

The confusion can be traced back to Definition 7.1 of the same section (p.20 of
the web-posted softcopy), which erroneously incorporates sectional curvature in
the definition of manifold. A manifold itself does not have a matric yet, so we
cannot talk about its curvature. Riem(M) is the set fo all Riemann metrics on M
9whatever their curvature), and then we go to A1 to cut to those Riemann
metrics for which curvature is bounded by 1.