[FOM] Deflationism and the Godel phenomena

Jeffrey Ketland ketland at ketland.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 21:40:10 EST 2005

Neil Tennant wrote:

Jeffrey Ketland:
>> The intended meaning of this sentence was:
>>
>> (C) Tr(PA) *does* prove G; and (PA + T-sentences) doesn't.

Neil Tennant:
> In that case, why didn't you write exactly that, rather than the
> misleadidng, unambiguous, false claim that you wrote instead?

Why didn't I write that? Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me at the time
that what I wrote was ambiguous at all. I can assure you that I was claiming
something like (C). Namely, that there is at least one way to do this using
the truth-theoretic extension of PA. I.e., we can prove G in Tr(PA), and
that the theory with the disquotational T-sentences can't. And this is
right. The other interpretation (that there is no other way to do it) simply
didn't occur to me.

In any case, now you're claiming (above) that the sentence is
"unambiguous"!!
But this now seems to contradict what you said in 2002. Your analysis was