[FOM] characterization of Real numbers? (by Saeed Salehi)

Jesse Alama alama at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 11 23:51:37 EST 2005

Hi Saeed,

Your ordered set X has the least upper bound property (this is
inherited from the least upper bound property of R) and a countable
dense subset (namely, Q x ([0,1] & Q)).  If the standard
characterization of R (an ordered set that has the least upper bound
property and a countable dense subset) is accurate , then it would seem
that your X is order-isomorphic to the real line.  Perhaps I'm missing
something; I would be grateful if you would discuss your counterexample
in more detail.

Warm regards,

Jesse