[FOM] Characterization of the real numbers

Stephen Lavelle icecube at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Feb 7 16:06:48 EST 2005

There is the categorical classification of the real interval as a termal
object in a certain category.  It's an elementary result - the simplest
explanation I've come across is Q17 in this problem set by Leinster, where
the details are explained

http://www.maths.gla.ac.uk/~tl/categories/sheetthree.ps

Hope that's of some help,

Stephen