[FOM] proof theory cousre

Peter Cholak Peter.Cholak.1 at nd.edu
Tue Nov 30 07:56:06 EST 2004

Notre Dame Logic Group will offer the following course:

  Math 550 -- Proof Theory; Topics in Graduate Mathematics.

  June 6 - June 17, 2005. Monday - Thursday 10:00 am - 11:30am and 1:30
pm - 3:00 pm and Friday 10:00 am - 11:30 am.

  Instructors: Jeremy Avigad and Henry Towsner of Carnegie Mellon
University..

  Course Description: This course will introduce students to the
"metamathematical" branch of proof theory, which is a descendent of
Hilbert's program. We will consider some "low-level" syntactic tools
that are used to study formal theories, including cut-elimination,
double-negation translations, realizability, and the Dialectica
interpretation. Then we will apply these tools to various theories of
arithmetic to demonstrate what can be learned from a proof-theoretic
analysis. The goal of the course will be to provide an introduction to
the fundamental methods of proof theory that will make the general
literature more accessible, and to convey a sense of contemporary
research.

  Logistics: This course is part of Notre Dame's summer session; there
is no registration or tuition fees involved (nor will any academic
credit be given). However, enrollment in the summer session will be
required; participants will have access to Notre Dame's facilities
(such as libraries and gymnasiums). Housing in the student dormitories
and participation in meal plans will be offered; for details see
http://www.nd.edu/~proof/housing_meals.html. To cover some of the costs
we may be offering a number of scholarships of about $450.

  We ask all those who are even slightly interested in attending this
course to please fill out our initial registration form at
http://www.nd.edu/~proof/registration1.html. This way we can contact
you when more information and a commitment is required. On-line
registration will begin in the early spring; please refer back to
http://www.nd.edu/~proof.

-Peter