[FOM] Re: Shapiro on natural and formal languages

John Corcoran corcoran at buffalo.edu
Sun Nov 28 12:19:05 EST 2004

TARSKI ON FORMALIZED LANGUAGES: I should like to emphasize that when
using the term "formalized languages" I do not refer exclusively to
linguistic systems that are formulated entirely in symbols and I do not
have in mind anything essentially opposed to natural languages.  On the
contrary, the only formalized languages that seem to be of real interest
are those which are fragments of natural languages (fragments provided
with complete vocabularies and precise syntactical rules) or those which
can at least be adequately translated into natural languages.  Tarski
1969/1993, 114.
-