[FOM] Re: Excluded middle & cardinality of the reals

Peter Schuster Peter.Schuster at mathematik.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Jun 30 06:31:41 EDT 2004

As Andrej expected, there already is a constructive proof that the
reals are not countable, and this is done with countable choice.
The earliest reference I know is Errett Bishop's "Foundations of
Constructive Analysis", but I bet that this was known before.

The proof actually says a little bit more, that for every sequence
of reals there is a real which is bounded away from each member
of the given sequence. So there's no need to reinvent the wheel.
Another question is whether countable choice is really necessary.

Peter Schuster

http://www.mathematik.uni-muenchen.de/~pschust