[FOM] Re: AXIOM SCHEMATA

Jesse Alama alama at stanford.edu
Sat Jul 17 15:32:14 EDT 2004

Some more work would be needed to conclude that most mathematicians
really do use classes only as figures of speech.  There is evidence for
the contrary position: substantial use of proper classes is made in the
study of universal algebra, and it seems that there classes are treated
as honest mathematical objects.  Indeed, some central theorems in
universal algebra are about proper classes and operations thereon:
Birkhoff's theorem (on relation between equational classes and
varieties) Tarski's theorem on the relation between forming varieties
and the class operations of forming homomorphic images, taking
subalgebras, and constructing products; and so on.  (C.f. Burris and
Sankappanavar's fine _A Course in Universal Algebra_.)

And consider category theory: there, serious discussion can be found
concerning such large things as the category of all groups and sets.  I
don't get the impression in such discussions that these categories are
only figures of speech.

Perhaps class users really do regard classes as fictional and as
convenient figures of speech.  But I get the impression from universal
algebra that classes are regarded no differently from sets and other
concrete mathematical objects, such as groups, vector spaces, and
boolean algebras.  If we agree that mathematicians regard the latter as
real, then we should conclude that mathematicians regard classes as
real, too.

Jesse