[FOM] "Computing more than the Turing machine"

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Mon Jan 12 18:58:49 EST 2004

On January 12,  José Félix Costa wrote:

 >Also recommend is the excellent monograph
 >  http://arxiv.org/ftp/math/papers/0209/0209332.pdf
 >Computing more than the Turing machine
 >by Toby Ord

As Felix knows, I strongly disagree with all of this. In the recent volume
"Alan Turing: Life and Legacy of a Great Thinker" Christof Teuscher, Ed.,
Springer 2004, see my paper "The Myth of Hypercomputation." In the same
volume see Andrew Hodges' s paper, "What Would Turing Have Done after 1954?"

Copies of my paper are available by email on request in PDF or DVI format.

The same volume contains a number of articles taking the opposite position.

Martin