[FOM] Re: Interpretability in Q (Edward T. Dean)

Sam Buss sbuss at math.ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 22 18:29:30 EST 2004

     This compatibility problem is known to have a negative answer
(Solovay, unpublished, 1986).   Here is Solovay's construction:

    Define  superexp(k) to be 2^{2^{2^.....2}}, an iterated exponential
with k  2's.

    Define   log_even(N) to mean that superexp(k) <= N < superexp(k+1) for
some even value of k.
    Define  eventually_log_even to mean that there is an M s.t. every N>M
is log_even.
     Define log_odd(N) and eventually_log_odd in the analogous way.

     Define "exp" to mean that exponentiation is total.

     Let A := (exp    or   eventually_log_even)
     Let B := (exp    or   eventually_log_odd)

      Then  Q[A}  and Q[B] are individually interpretable in Q, but Q[A,B]
is not.

      Note that (A and B) implies exp.

-- Sam Buss