[FOM] Uncertainty

Steve Stevenson steve at cs.clemson.edu
Fri Dec 10 10:21:40 EST 2004

Good Morning,

Much of my work focuses on correctness in models and simulations. That
work seems to be focusing on issues of "uncertainty" and "risk". Some
approaches, such as quantified risk assessment, have garnered much
attention due to Yucca Mountain (the nuclear waste repository), but
unfortunately more heat than light. The literature seems to be all over
the lot, much of it from business practice. The problem is at its most
interesting in the non-scientific world of policy: environmental and
climate change literature seems to prescribe rules without much
justification. The problems seem to be a mix of science methodology
(statistics), various forms of probability, and psychology
(decision-making, judgment, etc); maybe even a little sociology (group
decision-making).

I'm looking for sources that focus on what fundamental issues are. This
seems to me to be an epistemology issue but I don't want to jump to
conclusions or get into the Frequentist-Bayesian debate or the
Bayesian-Fuzzy debate. The business literature all seems to start off
with frequentist probability rather than what the issues are. I'm
really not familiar enough with the psychology literature to know where
to start.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Best regards,

steve
--------
Dr. D. E. Stevenson,
Director, Institute for Modeling and Simulation Applications
P.O. Box 340974, Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634-0974
http://www.imsa.clemson.edu