[FOM] FIRST-ORDER LOGIC WITH IDENTITY, INDIVIDUAL CONSTANTS AND FUNCTION CONSTANTS.

A.P. Hazen a.hazen at philosophy.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Dec 2 02:43:06 EST 2004

John Corcoran asks various questions  about the history of the logic
mentinoned in the title.  I'm not sure who would have formulated the
theory of individual constants and function-symbols  explicitly
(their theoretical dispensability is a consequence of Russell's
theory of descriptions and would have been familiar to foundational
workers of the 1920s), but Gödel DOES discuss identity in his 1930
completeness theorem paper: theorems VII and VIII state weak
completeness (= valid formulas provable) for FOL-with-identity, and
after giving theorems IX (strong completeness (a contradiction is
derivable from any denumerable set of formulas which is not
satisfiable)) and X (Compactness) for FOL, Gödel remarks that they
also generalize to FOL-with-I.

Allen Hazen
Philosophy Department
University of Melbourne