[FOM] less and more news?!

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 28 20:39:42 EST 2003

The previous statements in news?! again were not strong enough for
reversals. I fix them here, and add more material.

It looks like simplifications are coming in on posting #192. I need to see
how far I can get, but here is what is happening.

Relation means "binary relation". We identify r tuples from Ek with rk
tuples from E.

PROPOSITION 1. Let k,p >= 1 and R be a strictly dominating order invariant
relation on [1,2^p]k. There exists A containedin [1,2^p]k, such that every
element of Ak x [1,2^p]k is order equivalent to an element of Ak x (A U.
R[A]), relative to 1,2,4,...,2^p, in which 2^2^2^8k - 1 does not appear.

Proposition 1 is provably equivalent to the consistency of Mahlo cardinals
of finite order over ACA.

As in posting #192, 2^2^2^8k - 1 is meant to be a silly but safe number.
Also, as in posting #192, we can use

A delta R[A]

instead of

A U. R[A].

Also note that if we remove

2^2^2^8k - 1 does not appear

in these statements, then they become easily provable.

We now move to one dimensonal sets, using the well known semilinear function
concept.

Let T:Nk into N. We say that T is strictly dominating if and only if for all
x in Nk, T(x) > max(x).

PROPOSITION 2. Let k,p >= 1 and T:[1,2^p]k into N be a strictly dominating
semilinear function with coefficients from [0,k]. There exists A containedin
[1,p!] containing (8k)!!!, such that A U. T[Ak] meets the image of Ak by any
semilinear function with coefficients from {0,1!,...,(p-1)!}.

We say that T is 2-expansive if and only if for all x, T(x) >= 2 max(x).

PROPOSITION 3. Let k,p >= 1 and T:[1,2^p]k into N be a 2-expansive
semilinear function with coefficients from [-k,k]. There exists A
containedin [-p!,p!] containing (8k)!!!, such that A U. T[Ak] meets the
image of Ak by any semilinear function with coefficients from

(8k)!!! is another silly safe number.

These appear to be equivalent to the consistency of Mahlo cardinals of
finite order, over ACA.

Harvey Friedman