[FOM] Foundations and Frege

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Oct 14 15:38:56 EDT 2003

Contrary to Charles Stewart's remarks, I think
it is rather obvious that Frege strongly influenced
the development of modern logic.  The influence
is indirect, through Whitehead and Russell.

In the Preface to PM, they say:

"In all questions of logical analysis, our chief
debt is to Frege."

Manuscripts of Whitehead in the Russell archives
in Hamilton, Ontario, show that the early development of
the formalism of predicate logic by Whitehead
proceeded by direct adaptation of Frege's
axiom system to Peano-style notation.
Manuscripts of Russell published in Volume 4
of Russell's Collected Papers show Frege's
influence in the clearest possible fashion.
The idea of logical types itself is a descendant
of Frege's hierarchy of functions.