[FOM] Slater and numbers

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sun Oct 5 21:16:33 EDT 2003

Randall Holmes (FOM Digest Vol 10 Issue 8) replies to my previous
message 'Tangential to Holmes/Slater debate' by saying (a) that I
should read Hazen more carefully, (b) that I confuse theory and
meta-theory, and (c) that I am not clear about what is standard.  But
(a) Hazen himself proposed a logic in which the numerical place in
'(nx)Fx' can be quantified over, and likewise, paradoxically, Holmes
has also done so himself, with omega-logic, (b) with numbered
variables there is a reference to numbers in the standard
re-expression of numerical quantifiers, so Holmes has to explain what
is crucially different between that mode of representtaion and
others, and (c) I am very clearly aware that it has been standard to
represent the natural numbers as finite von Neumann ordinals (the
case in question Holmes was writing about): that is what, amongst
other things, I have been arguing against, and my point about appeals
to what is 'standard' was that the fact that something is such does
not make it right.

What Holmes has to understand is that the foundations of mathematics
have been completely misrepresented for the last 100 years.
--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow