[FOM] interpretation

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu May 22 07:02:53 EDT 2003

I am not sure about this, but I sense that there may be some confusion, in
the discussion between Friedman and Buckner, between two notions,
intepretation in the model-theoretical sense, and relative
interpretability, which is a proof-theoretical relation between formalized
theories (though these notions are not totally unrelated). The latter
(unlike the former) is not that elementary notion, although quite familiar
for mathematical logicians. (Dean: there is a good introduction to this
notion in the appendix Feferman's 2000 Erkenntnis paper "Does reductive..."
(see his homepages); also Enderton's book contains a good exposition).

Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen

PhD., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
University of Helsinki

Address:
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4