[FOM] Simmons' denotation paradoxes

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 4 20:25:27 EST 2003

Sandy Hodges (FOM Digest Vol 3, issue 3) 'is a bit surprised' if I am
willing to assert his (22) but think his (11) does not follow.  He
goes on 'Naturally, if there is a distinction which makes (22) a
correct assertion about the situation, while (11) is not, then I will
just rephrase the example once again...'  But in my last posting (FOM
Digest Vol 3 issue 2) I explained why (11) does not follow, so Hodges
should address the issues I raised then.  I will repeat them:

Given not both (2) and (4) can be attributive when this is not
through choice, there are several remaining alternatives, including
just one being attributive when this is not though choice, both being
attributive when this is through choice, and both being
non-attributive.  So (4) being attributive through choice does not
follow.

Hodges seems to believe there is something the epsilon calculus
(which would allow (4) to have a referent in all these cases) cannot
handle about the situation.  Is that because he thinks there is
invariably a choice about the referent of an epsilon term (so that
necessarily there is always a choice about what (4) refers to, and
so, if the case is that it refers attributively it must do so by
choice)?  But the referent of an epsilon term is not always a matter
of choice: an elementary counter-example is 'ex(x=a)'.

--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow