[FOM] Solution (?) to Mathematical Certainty Problem

mjmurphy 4mjmu at rogers.com
Sat Jun 28 08:52:10 EDT 2003

> Our disagreement appears to be on whether the "kind of certainty"
> generated by such a machine would be of the same kind as our own
> intuitive proof that "2 + 2 = 4" say:

[clip]

> It's been said that betting behavior is an indication of the level of
> commitment that someone has to a belief.  I would bet ANYTHING that 2 +
> 2 = 4, my own life, etc.

I would bet anything that the sun will rise tomorrow, which is not a
mathematical belief.  Is the belief that 2 + 2 = 4 any more certain than
that?  Maybe the sun won't rise tomorrow; maybe tomorrow 2 + 2 will come out
to be five.  I agree with the distinction you draw between certainty and
Certainty.  With regards to the latter, the belief that 2 + 2 = 4 and the
belief that the sun will rise tomorrow are, I would think, on the same
level.

Cheers,

M.J.Murphy