[FOM] Mathematical Certainty?

David Corfield david.corfield at philosophy.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 12:22:05 EDT 2003

Dan Goodman wrote:

> Ideally we want to make our proofs such that isolated small
> mistakes don't ruin the entire proof. What's interesting is
> that informal proofs are often more stable than purely formal
> proofs because they are driven by ideas rather than purely
> symbolic calculations, and if the ideas are right then a
> mistake in the formalism should be easily corrected.

Which is part of the reason why, when asked what provides
the main evidence for the Riemann Hypothesis, mathematicians
point to a not-quite-worked out analogy to another field
rather than to the 1.5 billion verifications. Even a gappy network
of ideas can be quite convincing.

>The
> slightly counterintuitive consequence of this is that maybe
> we should actually prefer a slightly informal proof driven by
> strong ideas to a formal proof checked by a computer.

An excellent way of putting it.

Taking things a stage further, one could take proofs in a field to be
checks that we've got the strong ideas right and linked properly.

Just one further step and:

"The quest for ultimate triviality is characteristic of
the mathematical enterprise." (Rota, Indiscrete Thoughts, 93)

David Corfield
Faculty of Philosophy
10 Merton St.
Oxford OX1 4JJ