[FOM] Solution (?) to Mathematical Certainty Problem

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jun 21 01:04:32 EDT 2003

This is a followup to my posting 2:32AM 6/20/03.

Here is a proposal for attaining mathematical certainty with computer
assistance.

1. THE BEGINNING - THE MASTER FORMAL SYSTEM T.

I start like everyone else in specifying the formal system in which
proofs are required to exist.

Normally, T will be taken to be some practical version of ZFC, with
flexible abbreviation power, and also like what I discussed in 7:03PM
6/20/03.

We will assume that this master formal system is specified human to
human, of course in a very careful and meticulous way.

As we shall see from my proposal, it is entirely appropriate to
assume that this system T is a Hilbert style proof system, which is
much easier to deal with from the human level in terms of specifying
what proofs are. Of course, Hilbert style systems are a nightmare in
terms of humans actually reading or casting proofs directly in them.
But as we shall see in my proposal, humans are not going to be
reading or casting proofs in T.

So the first step is for T to be cast in simple and clear enough
terms, so that humans are all convinced that if there happens to be a
proof in T of a sentence A, then this confers the desired certainty
on (the intended interpretation of) A.

Of course, it is vital that the language of T be sufficiently
powerful that a mathematician can identify sentences in the language
of T that correspond exactly to the Theorems being verified. This is
not a problem if we start with a really good version of ZFC. This
does require a discussion of work I have been involved with, but have
not discussed the details of, on the FOM. Work concerning appropriate
forms of ZFC for the development of mathematics, on the language, not
the proof, side.

One aspect of my posting 11:49PM 6/17/03 "Theory of Actual Proofs" is
vitally important here. Statements to be verified generally have a
line of definitions that need to be made in advance of the statement.
And these definitions must be in proper linkage with all of the
previous definitions made. So as we use the system T, we create a
definitional chain, as well as a statement chain. For some purposes,
there is no point in distinguishing between definitions and theorems,
as they are all to be verified statements (the definitions, in proper
form, need no verification).

The part of T other than proofs, is required to be extremely humanly
friendly, since it is going to be part of the official record, to be
read by mathematicians. This requires serious care, and needs to be
discussed further, as I said above.

However, this issue is reasonably under control. I.e., this part
without proofs. We do not require any kind of perfection in this
respect. I know of reasonable proposals, which do require a little
flexibility on the part of users, but are an improvement over
anything that I have seen.

2. EXTREMELY ANNOTATED PROOFS IN T.

The overall design of this proposed system is as follows.

i. Humans interact with various existing systems like Mizar and
Isabelle and others, New ones will be developed once our system is
put into place. I don't care what they look like, but the purpose of
these auxiliary systems is to use whatever tools, to

create files purporting to be formal proofs in T appended with what I
call an "extreme annotation".

Because of this "extreme annotation", I don't care what kind of buggy
garbage may sometimes be produced by such human/machine interactive
systems. I don't care if they happen to be buggy, but of course that
may, in a practical sense, waste a lot of time of their users trying
to comply with our perfect standards.

ii. These purported formal proofs in T must start with a statement of
what is being proved, preceded by an appropriate definitional lead
in. This is in full accordance with the dynamic nature of the setup
of T. Of course, the definitional lead in may be empty. (See the last
paragraph of section 1 above).

iii. The purported proof in T, appended with the so called extreme
annotation, is sent to the core proof checker for examination.

iv. In practice, it should not be difficult for systems like Mizar
and Isabelle to conform to these requirements, and also to create an
export program that supplies the required extreme annotation. Again,
for our purposes, no verification of this is relevant for us. And if
Mizar and Isabelle won't do it, then we can wear different hats and
go into that human/machine interactive business ourselves.

v. If the core proof checker says "yes, this is a correct proof in
T", then the statement that has been proved, including the
definitional lead in to it, is posted to the world with a time stamp.
The definitional leadin used, as well as the statement verified,
becomes part of the official record of the system. The proof stuff,
including the extreme annotations, are put away in a separate secure
place, of course. This official record is meant to be read worldwide
by mathematicians, as it is particularly friendly.

vi) All subsequently accepted purported proofs in T with extreme
annotation, must conform and also have available to it, what has been
done in the official record from these public postings.

We now come to the novel(?) idea here.

The idea is that so much information in the form of pointers,
etcetera, into the proof in T is given after the end of the proof in
T, that this alleviates the need for parsers, string searchers, and
the like in the core proof checker. (We have not yet come to the core
proof checker).

Also, this is to be, together with T, a universally agreed upon
standard, adhered to throughout the world.

We also claim that

i) the specification of the formal system T (much simpler than a
computer system or computer language!!) is humanly digestible;

ii) the specification of the extreme annotation is humanly digestible.

iii) the proof that every file with an extreme annotation is a proof
in T over the existing posted record of the system, is humanly
digestible.

iv) extreme annotations are not too long for practical use.

I will take a stab at how this is could be designed, in the next
posting. That should (might) convince you of i) - iii).

Items i) - iii) are to indicate our feeling that we don't need to use
formal verification methods in connection with i) - iii). However, we
are entirely open to the idea that some sort of formal verification
would be desirable in connection with 1) - iii).

3. THE CORE PROOF CHECKER.

Extreme annotation will be so explicit that the core proof checker
has only to do completely trivial grunt work of the most elemental
kind.

We think that one should be able to easily program the core proof
checker in an appropriate MACHINE LANGUAGE, and have a mathematician
write a completely readable correctness proof of the machine language
program that is completely convincing to any mathematician. Special
purpose hardware would circumvent a number of verification issues.

It may be valuable to do this in an agonizing machine language like
Turing machines. In fact, that may be a real good test. To show that
we are at a suitably low level but understandable level, we could see
if the TM code could easily be written and understandably proved to
be correct.

The extent to which any formal verification methods would help here
is quite unclear, as we are at the primitive lookup level.

Harvey Friedman