[FOM] Godel numbers, use, and mention

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 7 19:13:43 EDT 2003

Dean Buckner writes (FOM Digest Vol 6 Issue 10):

>  > and since KMex(y)(My <-> y=x)
>>  we get KMa.
>
>So, since we know that person committed the murders, it follows that A
>committed the murders.  Why?

The general claim was that K(Ex)(y)(My <-> y=x) with Ma entails KMa,
and that has to be read right, first of all. I gave a Gettier case in
support of it which is crucial: you can justifiably believe there is
a person in the room, and this can be true, without you *knowing*
there is a person in the room - if you think there is a man in the
room, when it is a woman.  Likewise you might think b is the one and
only murderer, and so come to think you know there is one and only
one murderer; but you don't in fact know this, if it is a instead who
did the murdering.

--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow