[FOM] virus in message purporting to come from Harvey

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Fri Jun 6 14:40:38 EDT 2003

A message with a return address friedman at aol.com has been sent to a number
of our subscribers. The attachment coming with this message probably is a
virus.

The message does not come from Harvey. He has no aol account. The virus is
programmed to steal email addresses and to choose its own "return address".
It presumably has invaded the computer of one of our subscribers.

The message itself will not harm your computer, but the attachment may well
do so. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT. DO NOT CLICK ON THE ICON POINTING TO THE
ATTACHMENT. The attachment will be residing in whatever folder (i.e.
directory) your mail program uses to store attachments. You should delete
that attachment. Simply deleting the message will not make it go away.

Martin