[FOM] General Foundations Discussion

Michael Thayer mthayer at ts-software.com
Mon Jul 28 09:51:51 EDT 2003

The following comment by Harvey Friedman brings up a question I have been wondering about for some time.  In an interesting paper, whose exact title I do not recall, Neil Tennant discussed the difference in viewpoint between what he call "monomathematicians" - people who work with unique objects (like the standard real numbers) and those who deal with structures which come in many flavours (most algebraists, and topologists and some geometers).  Does Harvey's comment below suggest that these latter are farther removed from foundational issues?