[FOM] Dependence relations

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Tue Jul 22 09:55:01 EDT 2003

I realize that the ideas of my post on dependence relations may have gotten
lost in the details.
Let me post two dicta.  (To fully understand them, you will have to refer
to the first post.)

The model theoretic study of dependence relations produces two
mehodological lessons.

1) To understand the structure of any but the most simple structures, one
must study not a single
dependence relations but a family of dependence relation.

(the formalization of simple is strongly minimal i.e. admits a
geometry).  The family of dependence relations is `forking' in various
subsets.)

2)  To understand the structure of any even the most simple structures,
(again those which admit a geometry)
requires a finer geometrical analysis than that provided by Van der Waerden.

(e.g. modular vrs non-modular etc.)