[FOM] Question about hard-core independence

John Steel steel at math.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:09:38 EST 2003

  All of the statements given so far are decided by very weak
large cardinal axioms, presumably, though we don't know which
way they go yet. I think that is why they are unsatisfying as
examples of "hard-core independence". They are probably not
independent of the sum of what we have good reason to believe.
(Of course, it could turn out that your S is some arithmetic sentence
which is provably independent of all the large cardinal axioms we know of,
but if you find such an S, then ...Wow!)

  I personally don't think V=L is independent of the sum of what we have
good reason to believe, since it is decided by large cardinal axioms.

  Turning "the sum of what we have good reason to believe" into the basis
for a precisely defined concept of hard-core independence seems hopeless.

  I took the original question as a way of asking whether taking "set" to
mean constructible set removes all ambiguity from the language of set
theory. (That may not have been how Prof. Gaifman was thinking of it.
It does seem implicit in the latest formulation involving
independence methods which "manipulate directly the semantics".) I think
adding V=L may very well remove all ambiguity, but at the cost of speaking
a less expressive language. I do think there could be a way to show that
the full language of set theory is ambiguous without getting into abstract
theories of meaning.  We do that all the time, by exhibiting the distinct
possible meanings. (Einstein didn't need a theory of meaning to show that
"A is simultaneous with B" is ambiguous.)

   Whether there is actually any such ambiguity seems like an open
question, to me. The proving conditional generic absoluteness theorems at
the $\Sigma^2_n$ level for incompatible theories which are provably (from
large cardinal assumptions) true in (necessarily different)  set-generic
extensions is one approach to exhibiting an ambiguity.

John Steel