[FOM] (no subject)

Bas Spitters spitters at cs.kun.nl
Mon Jan 13 16:00:58 EST 2003

Jeremy Clark wrote:

>Dear FOM subscribers,
>
>I would like to offer for consideration an interpretation of constructive
>analysis as described in Bishop and Bridges' book. I think it is a clean
>way to bring constructive analysis down to a completely 'finitistic' level.
>I would greatly appreciate any comments on this system and how I
>might develop it into a more substantial piece of research. What follows
>assumes of the reader some understanding of the nature of constructive
>analysis.

Your proposal sounds interesting, but it reminds me of Gödel's
functional or dialectica-interpretation.
Could you explain how your proposal relates to this interpretation?

[ I  assume you know about this interpretation, if not:
* Goedel's dialectica article.
* Bishop's numerical language article
* Feng Ye's PhD-thesis. This thesis seems to have been largely unnoted,
but it carries out the almost complete translation of Bishop's
constructive analysis into PRO,
using the dialectica interpretation, thus obtaining a strictly
finitistic interpretation.
* The chapter in the handbook of logic
* ...
]