[FOM] FOM: set theory

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sat Jan 4 12:58:28 EST 2003

Dean Buckner wrote:

 >My view is that set theory is wrong, in the sense it does not capture our
 >ordinary intuitions about sets and things.

This makes about as much sense as saying that physics is wrong because it
doesn't capture our
ordinary intuitions about work and energy. A scientific discipline is not
intended to capture our ordinary (fallible) intuitions, but rather to
improve on them. Particularly on FOM, set theory is of special interest in
providing a foundation for mathematics where "our ordinary intuitions" have
proved utterly misleading.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley