[FOM] Understanding universal quantification

Steve Newberry stevnewb at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 22 21:51:26 EST 2003

Peter,

Actually, the way quantification got *started* was as a purely *syntactical*
operation: The prefix generalization of the hitherto dyadic infix operators
of sum and product, disjunction and conjunction, to arbitrarily many operands,
was introduced by William Stanley Jevons in his "Principles of Science" (1874)
which also redefined "logical sum" from the  'exclusive-or' of Boole to the
'inclusive-or' and its attendant dual-symmetries, which survive to this
day. The
term "quantifier", and the use of (capital) sigma and pi for existential and
universal quantifiers was initiated in the works of Charles Saunders Peirce.

The *semantic* and ontological analyses of quantification appear to be of more
recent occurrence.

W.r.t. the ontological entailments of universal/existential quantification, I
can offer one simple notion which has helped me to resolve the apparent
dichotomy
between "actual infinity" and "potential infinity": namely that the
intuition of
potential infinity seems to be well captured by the notion of a
sequence  S  of
arbitrarily great extent, as e.g., <1,2,3, ... >, whereas the intuition of
actual
infinity seems to be adequately captured by the notion of the union (in the
sense
of Cantor) of the sequence, U(S). If we cook up a sort of inverse-union
operation,
say "disunion", symbolized by prefix  ' * ' [asterisk] then we can "ping-pong"
back and forth between the two concepts in a manner which clearly indicates
that
the only difference between the two concepts is psychological, rather than
fundamentally ontological.

S =df= <1,2,3, ...> which is potential, incomplete; U(S) =df= { 1,2,3, ...
} which
is actual (completed); and  *(U(S)) is once again  <1,2,3, ...> .

That said, I'm confident that there will be some who will wish to argue the
point.

SN