[FOM] the debate with Professor Kanovei

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Fri Aug 29 14:48:41 EDT 2003

Dear Subscribers,

This discussion has been going in circles and I would propose we call a
halt. But first I'll exercise my privilege as moderator to make some
comments that I hope will be clarifying.

My teacher E.L. Post commented on the conclusions to be drawn from
G\"odel's incompleteness theorem as follows:

"The conclusion is inescapable
 mathematical thinking is, and must remain,
essentially creative.
 this conclusion must inevitably result in at least
partial reversal of the entire axiomatic trend of the late nineteenth and
early twentieth centuries, with a return to meaning and truth as being of
the essence of mathematics."