[FOM] Yablo, Mirimanoff, and Negative Types

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 19 03:20:31 EDT 2002

"A.P. Hazen" <a.hazen at philosophy.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> (ii) Nonexistence of standard models.  There is an old result
> (it MAY be due to Hintikka, "Reductions in the Theory of Types," an
> "Acta Philosophica Fennica" monograph (?) from the 1950s) that, just
> as Second-Order Logic (with the "standard" -- non-Henkin --
> interpretation) can characterize the natural number series
> categorically, it can characterize the "standard model" of Third-
> Order Logic, or of full Finite Type Theory, up to isomorphism.

Yes, it is:

K. Jaakko K. Hintikka: Two Papers in Symblic Logic (Form and content in
quantification theory. Reductions in the theory of types.) Acta
Philosophica Fennica VIII (1955).

Presumably not too easy to ¨find (although, I have a copy...)

Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

E-mail: panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi