FOM: beautiful from the point of view of a classical analyst

friedman@math.ohio-state.edu friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 31 04:14:51 EDT 2002

Reply to ELENA NOGINA <enogina at alpha.lehman.cuny.edu>.

> Is not
> Specker's first example of a convergent, computable sequence of rationals
> which does not converge computably, hence its limit  is not computable
> (Nicht konstruktiv beweisbare S"atze der Analysis, J. Symbolic Logic
> 14(1949), 145-158)
> defined in a beautiful way?
>
> Elena Nogina (Artemov)

Without looking, I assume that it uses a partial recursive enumeration of the
partial recursive functions, or an r.e. enumeration of the r.e. sets, etc. This
might be beautiful if the enumeration used is beautiful. However, there is no
suitably beautiful enumerations known.

If Specker doesn't rely on such enumerations, then it would be nice if you
could sketch the construction here on the FOM e-mail list, so we can examine
the beauty (from the point of view of the classical analyst).