FOM: Precision and Turing-computability

Karlis Podnieks Karlis.Podnieks at mii.lu.lv
Mon May 27 12:54:25 EDT 2002

Perhaps, the problem is even more fundamental, see my essay at
http://www.ltn.lv/~podnieks/digital.htm

Just two quotes:

"Formal theories are physical objects. I.e. applying such a theory to some
natural or technical phenomenon means exploiting of a really existing
(physical!) isomorphism between two physical objects - the theory and the
phenomenon. But, of course, formal theories are physical objects of a
specific kind - I would call them "digital" objects because they all can be
implemented (by definition!) as programs of digital computers."

"Thus, the question could be reformulated as follows: but it may be, may it
not, that all possible digital structures cover all that's physically
possible? I.e., may be, to cover some physical phenomena we may need a
non-digital ("non-digitalizable"!) structures as models?"

Karlis.Podnieks at mii.lu.lv
www.ltn.lv/~podnieks
Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Latvia