FOM: Axiom of Extensionality

Franklin Vera Pacheco franklin at ghost.matcom.uh.cu
Mon May 20 10:55:34 EDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Dean Buckner wrote:

> Either (you would think) the set is one and the same with its members, in
> which case the axiom reduces to {Alice, Bob, Carol} = {Alice, Bob, Carol},
> and hardly seems necessary.

 With finite sets the matter can be view as a trivial one but, when we are
working with infinite sets we have to define the sets no by an enumeration
but a proposition that must hold the elements of the set and we can have
no so trivial equalities as:

  {2k+2 : k belons to N } = { p + q : p and q are prime numbers }

In these case we indeed need the axiom of extensionality.

 --
Franklin Vera Pacheco
45 #10029 e/100 y 104
e-mail:franklin at ghost.matcom.uh.cu